Main Menu

  Member Login
  Submit Article
  RSS Feeds
  Contact Us


  Home and Family
  » Astronomy
  » Biology
  » Education
  » Environment
  » Physics
  Self Improvement

187 users online.

  » Category Sponsors
  Get Your Link Here - Limited Time Bargain at only $14/month!

Home » Science » How to Determine Cholesterol Levels In Our Blood

Article written by omicsj6789

View Full Profile
Get Html Code
PDF | Print View | Post to your Site

How to Determine Cholesterol Levels In Our Blood

Submitted by omicsj6789
Wed, 30 Jan 2013

Cholesterol is an essential substance that plays a vital role in several functions of our body, including hormone production, cell tissue generation, nerve insulation, digestion and vitamin D synthesis. While its function in our body is definitely essential, allowing too much cholesterol to accumulate in our blood can cause serious cardiovascular health problems.

Main Content:
Cholesterol plays a major role in human's heart health. High blood cholesterol is a significant risk factor for coronary cardiac arrest and heart stroke. That's why it's very essential for all individuals to know their cholesterol levels. They should also learn about other risk factors for heart disease and stroke.

Keeping our cholesterol levels healthier is a great way to keep your heart healthier - and we should reduce the chances of getting cardiac arrest or heart stroke. Cholesterol levels can be tricky to understand, though, because not all is bad for you. The most essential thing we need to do as a first step is to know our cholesterol numbers by getting our cholesterol tested.
Cholesterol comes from two sources: the food we eat and our body. The liver and other cells in our body create about 75 % of blood cholesterol. The other 25% comes from the food we eat. Cholesterol levels is only found in creature products.

Cholesterol screening measures our level of HDL and LDL. HDL is the "good" cholesterol which helps us to keep the LDL (bad) cholesterol from getting filed into our artery walls. A proper and balanced level of HDL may also protect against heart problems, while low levels of HDL (less than 40 mg/dL for men and less than 50 mg/dL for women) have been shown to increase the risk of heart disease.

LDL cholesterol is the "bad" cholesterol. When too much of it circulates in the blood vessels, it can block arteries, increasing your chance of getting heart problems. LDL cholesterol is produced normally by the system, but many individuals acquire genes from their mother, father that cause them to create too much. Consuming fats, trans fats and dietary cholesterol also increases how much you have.

There are several aspects that determine the level of cholesterol in our blood vessels -- some that you can control and others that you can't. They include your genetics, sex, age, diet plan, bodyweight and exercising activities.

In fact, genetics is one of the principal aspects that regulate differences in cholesterol levels between the individuals. Genetically inherited disorders may cause high levels of blood cholesterol, such as genetic hypercholesterolemia.

Eating food with high cholesterol and saturated fat content will normally increase the amount of cholesterol in our bloodstream. The main causes are animal-based foods, such as red meat, eggs and cheese etc. In addition, lifestyle choices such as smoking can reduce levels of "good" HDL cholesterol and increase "bad" LDL cholesterol. Drinking a glass of red wine each day, on the other hand, helps in increasing our good cholesterol.

Gender also plays a role in determining our cholesterol level -- women tend to have abnormal amounts of LDL cholesterol than men, but after menopause, their LDL levels begin to rise. Therefore, men over the age of 45 and women over the age of 55 are advised to take additional care in observing their blood cholesterol levels, especially if they have a genetic history of early heart disease.

Weight and Exercise Level:
The amount of regular exercising you engage in, is an significant aspect in deciding our blood cholesterol levels. If you live a sedentary life and frequently fail to do enough exercise, your risk for heart disease problems increases.


For more details please refer Conference on Biosensing Technology.

Creative Commons License


No comments posted.

Add Comment

You do not have permission to comment. If you log in, you may be able to comment.

 Top Authors

 1 Stebee (3155)
 2 limalan88 (2920)
 3 alien82 (2756)
 4 kajuba (2508)
 5 sverdlow (1712)
 6 jamiehanson (1707)
 7 juliet (1691)
 8 robertoms2003 (1388)
 9 MarkeD (1296)
 10 manhealth1@gm.. (1294)
 11 AnthonyF (1244)
 12 articles (1205)
 13 LouieLiu (1190)
 14 artavia.seo (1141)
 15 gprather (1071)


Record Android Sensor Data, Inc. is an authorized retailer of